The hotel plays a big part in the history of the Mount Coolon area.
Luke Reynolds, a jackeroo from Yacamunda station, discovered gold here in 1913 but Thomas Coolon was the first to peg a claim in 1914.
The hotel was built originally in the 1920s as a residence for James Barclay. Barclay constructed the Barclay's Battery, a heritage-listed stamper battery at Mt Coolon. It's also known as the Mt Coolon Gold Mines Battery. 
Originally the residence featured a pergola and pay office. In the 1930s, the residence was split into two sperate units. It wasn't until much later that the units were converted into a bar, which eventually became the Mount Coolon Hotel.
Originally a gold mining town, there are still many interesting relics of the gold mining days to see around this tiny town, including Barclay's Battery, the 23m chimney that still stands today.        
Stay the night with us in either one of our hotel rooms, single donga rooms or ensuited donga rooms.
Accommodation and meal packages are also available. Email admin@mtcoolonhotel.com.au for more information or to make a booking.

You may also like

Back to Top